Ferro chromium is an Ferroalloy with chromium and ferro as the main components, and is one of the main alloying agents used in the iron and steel industry. Ferrochromium has high hardness and good wear resistance. The addition of chromium to steel can significantly improve the oxidation resistance of steel and increase the corrosion resistance of steel. Ferrochrome contains 55%-75% chromium. According to the different carbon content, ferrochromium can be divided into high carbon ferrochromium, medium carbon ferrochromium, low carbon ferrochromium and micro-carbon ferrochromium. So what is the difference of them?
The carbon content of high carbon ferrochromium is 4-10%, the carbon content of medium carbon ferro chromium is 0.5-4%, the carbon content of low carbon ferrochromium is 0.15-0.5%, and the carbon content of micro-carbon ferrochromium is less than 0.15%.
The smelting methods of micro-carbon ferrochromium include electro-silicon thermal method and hot mixing method. Oxidation stops or oxidation slows down. Micro-carbon ferro chromium is mainly used in the production of stainless steel, wear-resistant and heat-resistant steel.
The main uses of high carbon ferrochromium are:
1. It is used as an alloying agent for circulating bead steel, tool steel and high-speed steel with high carbon content to improve the hardenability of steel and increase the wear resistance and hardness of steel.
2. Used as an additive for cast iron to improve the wear resistance and hardness of cast iron, and at the same time make cast iron have good heat resistance.
3. It is used for the production of silicon-chromium alloy and medium, low and micro-carbon ferrochromium and chromium-containing raw materials by slag-free method.
4. Used as a chromium-containing raw material for electrolytic production of metallic chromium.
5. It is used as raw material for smelting stainless steel by oxygen blowing method. Smelting process of high carbon ferrochromium: the smelting methods of high carbon ferrochromium include blast furnace method, electric furnace method, plasma method, smelting reduction method, etc.
Inquiries and transactions in the internal and external chrome ore markets were not active this week. Some miners have loosened their quotations, but they have not been able to stimulate the enthusiasm for downstream purchases. In the futures market, although foreign investors have not yet given clear quotations, judging from the current market situation, suppliers’ expectations are not as strong as in the previous period. The price of high carbon ferrochromium is unchanged today. The lack of new positive factors in the market promotes the weak and stable operation of iron prices. Supply of high carbon ferrochromium continues to increase. Affected by capital and shipping pressure, the price difference between manufacturers’ quotations has gradually widened, and the mainstream price is basically the same as the guide price. The industry is more cautious about the market outlook, so factory chrome ore purchases and ferrochrome downstream purchases are not optimistic.